Home Families History Contact Cemeteries Gratitude Shouts Links

The History of Keokuk County, Iowa: 2001
Pages 14 & 15


There are three main cemeteries that serve the Delta and Warren Township community. Springfield Cemetery is probably the oldest and is located on the east side of State Highway 21, just a short distance north of the junction of Highway 92 and Highway 21. At the time of its origin, Delta was not in existance.

There is a record of a Warranty Deed given by Samuel Long, Sam Bell Maxey and Cassa Mitilda Maxey to the Cemetery Association of Washington and Warren townships for four acres of land. The consideration was $1.00 and the date was June 22, 1865, but it had been used as a burial ground for 18 years at that time. No additions have been made.

Sometime between 1910 and 1920, the Warren Township trustees levied a small tax to aid in the caring for all cemeteries in the township and adjoining townships.

Garrett Cemetery formerly called Oak Hill was established. The originial articles of incorporation named George Elliot as President, Andrew Garrett, Vice-President and John Garrett as Secretary. It was in 1872, when the land was purchased from Caleb Reynolds for $15.00 and an association established.

A little background on this cemetery must be told. It seems Caleb Reynolds owned about 40 acres of timber land. One day as he worked in the timber with his son-in-law, Milton Garrett, he stated he would like very much to be buried under a particular beautiful oak tree situated at the crest of the hill. Later, on October 24, 1862, at the age of 40 years, 4 months and 25 days, Milton Garrett died and his wish was carried out. His grave was marked by a headstone and the plot was fenced so nothing would molest the grave or stone.

As time passed and others of the family died, Mr. Reynolds had other requests for permission to be buried at this location. Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds decided to allow an acre of timber lot to be used as a public burial ground.

The Kensler Cemetery is on a one and one third acre plot of ground located just to the southwest of the covered bridge or in section 14, two and one half miles south of Delta. It once belonged to one of Warren township's early settlers, Jacob Kensler. He and his wife legally donated the land to the public in 1879. The two oldest graves were dug in 1863, belonging to William Maxson and Charles Randall, both Civil War veterans.




© Copyright 2007-2018 RespectOurDead.com
Page Last Updated: 2009-01-26 17:14:59
share this: digg | del.icio.us | facebook | reddit | netscape | stumbleupon